Saturday, May 19, 2012

Web Interuptus

You just don't realize how dependent your life is on the Internet until it goes down. On Wednesday night I noticed that our network connection seemed slow and Netflix kept rebuffering but there was a new format and we wondered if perhaps it was Netflix that was messed up. Thursday morning I discovered that Netflix was fine and our router was dead.

My first reaction was to switch gears, accept the change and go with the flow. I'd do some yoga, hop on the treadmill and clean house rather than do what I'd planned –to write or do my CSS classes. That worked until I finished my coffee. I seriously started suffering from withdrawal.

I got cranky, blamed R for not heading my warnings of doom. I bemoaned the fact I lived isolated from reality and relied upon my digital world for connection and safety. No cable, no phone, no ability to call if another rabid animal or an axe murderer shows up. No way to get help for the dogs if they need to be run to the vet and what if I fall?

When R called the cable company, they scheduled a repair call for 7am Sunday morning. WTF? I then remembered that when we moved here they also scheduled a Sunday repair time and the repairman never showed up. We called and they had no record of a repair ticket... nice! But then R learned from K that you can buy your own router and the cable company will talk you through hooking it up! So, off he ran during lunch to buy a router and set it up. So, alls well that ends with me back online.

But, I do need to seriously settle that addiction problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment