Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Birds... the whole Hitchcock cast!

the new home for the mailbox bird whether she likes it or not!
There is a cardinal who peers at me through my office window and taps on the glass. He wants birdseed. I keep forgetting but honestly, there are many bugs to eat! Birds are very funny and amazing to watch. I have learned much from them and had quite a lot of interaction! I have had birds knock themselves out cold flying into a window. I will gently hold them in my hands and more often than not they will wake up look at me and fly away screaming! Others get buried. Hummingbirds are very bossy! They quickly get addicted to sugar water and buzz me if they run out! I also can not put up a hanging plant without someone making a nest in it! Last year I realized a hanging plant was not getting any sun or rain under the eaves, so I put it on the deck bench. I then went into the screen room to work. As I wrote on my laptop, a little bossy willful brown Carolina wren kept flying by the screen and screaming at me. i finally went outside and looked into the flower pot and saw the nest and eggs! So, I sacrificed the plant and returned the pot to its original location! But, the worst of them all is the Carolina wren who nests each year in the newspaper slot of our mailbox! It gives me and the woman delivering the mail a heart attack when it flies out at anyone who dares open the mailbox! I put up a condo behind the mailbox and we are changing the mailbox to one without a newspaper slot -so we'll see how next year works for Ms. Dive Bomber!

No comments:

Post a Comment