Monday, May 7, 2012

Little Rascal, Mukki, Escapes!

first, I see a hole!
If you didn't know, you do now, Siberian Huskies are the worst kind of escape artists. They can dig a hole to China in less time than it takes you to sneeze. They can climb a chain-link fence and can jump a 6 foot-fence (they usually don't know that they can do it but if they ever figure it out...). It is very common to meet people who say: "Oh, I used to have a siberian husky but he ran away!" Usually these are the misguided idiots who think a dog needs to be free or they say: "I don't need a leash, my sweetie has been trained!"

later, I see that one of the
the three dogs is outside!
So, if you are like me, the worst sight you can have is the sight of your dog running loose. Usually mine will rush the door or open the door or chew through their leashes. This morning, the first thing I saw was Lulu trying to squeeze herself under the fence -lucky for me her collar got caught on the bottom of the fence. Then a few minutes later I looked over the top of my coffee mug and saw there was something wrong with the three dogs by the fence, and I was right. One dog, Mukki, was outside the fence. He had caught something and was casually eating it in front Quinn and Lulu, who were not taking it well at all! I immediately ran into the house and burst in on my R who was in the tub bathing. I yelled, "Hurry! Mukki is out!" He said: "%&**^&#%!!!!"

Mukki eating a critter
Then I ran outside and acted casual, complementing Mukki on his treat! "Good boy, Mukki! Mukki has a cookie!" Mukki looked over at me and wagged his tail, he was very proud of himself! Then I saw Rich walking along the fence. He asked Mukki: "What do you have there, Mukki?" Again, Mukki wagged his tail. He was eager to show Rich that he was perfectly capable of catching a bird, rabbit, possum, snake or any other treat! Rich leaned over to look and casually grabbed the big ring on the dog collar. He also tossed the rest of the critter over the fence, since we can't leave them with an excuse to get out for that last mouthful!

Checkmate!
Sigh! Poor Rich was half wet and soapy. He still had to move something heavy to block the hole. Usually, I get to block holes while they are still in progress. Mukki will bow to my victory and abandon the hole. Also, he can't move the big heavy rock I dumped into the hole ;-)  Rich carried two very large logs and dropped them onto the hole. After he went to work I found Mukki sitting on the top log while Quinn was trying to roll the little one. I grabbed the broken rake handle and a sledge hammer and pounded it into the ground. We all agreed I won, 'checkmate'! The boys then went behind the doghouse to eat some grass. It's the perfect vegetable side-dish to eat after raw critter! The boys later went inside to sleep and are still sleeping. I guess the adventure was tiring!

eating grass snack
I guess, if there is any advantage to having more than one siberian, it is that when they get out they hang around to taunt the ones who are still inside! Tala is the only one who will leave, but she waits until I try to catch her. Luckily, she is addicted to dog treats. When Lulu got loose, she ran up on the deck and tried to get back inside! She is a good mother and wasn't about to leave her son with me! The funniest escape was Mukki rushing the door when he saw the cat on the deck; he chased her up a tree and stayed under it waiting for KitKit to come down! Of course, that wasn't going to happen! Then there was the first time Quinn escaped, the door didn't latch and he pushed it open as I was carrying in groceries. I just took a can of sardines and sat in the middle of the driveway. He ran over and we had a little driveway picnic, then we went inside!

My only advice is to never chase a runaway dog! They think it is a game and will run. Stay calm and bribe them with something they can not resist. I use the word 'cookie' for any treat, whether it is a dog cookie or a piece of meat. This way, when they hear cookie, they come running from where ever they are! I do have a problem with Mukki, he could care less about treats, he often takes them and drops them on the floor for Quinn! He does love his Daddy, so he usually waits for R to walk up to him. Men! they always stick together!


No comments:

Post a Comment